Feelin' Groovy

A nostalgic romp discussing the music, movies, television, fashion and culture of the 70's by someone who lived it. (Me!)

Sunday, June 18, 2006

..an age old question..

Yesterday Barry Manilow (someone I adored as a kid and still admire greatly) turned 60 years young..

..or was it 59?..or 63? You know, a check on his birthdate produced conflicting results. Much to my surprise (and amusement) various sources listed him as being born in 1946, while mention of '47 and (dare I say it) '43 also flittered about. Apparently, there is a story that back in his heyday, Barry was asked by Arista Records to shave three years off his age. Hmph. Not the first time I've heard of that. In fact, being a huge lover of the 70's hit show, "Emergency", I discovered that Randy Mantooth had pretty much done the same. Die-hards swear that his listed age of September, 1945 is nothing short of wrong, and that Randy was actually born five years later.

Who to believe? Randy, himself, has insisted that he "fudged" his age while a young actor under contract. Okay, so in 1971 when "E!" started, he proclaimed to be 26 years old..when in reality he was 21? Now that he is older, it's so "convenient" to want to lop a few years off..why not?

Nothing against Randy. Whatever it is, it is. It's not the first time (and won't be the last) that vanity has played a role in an entertainers life..but it shamelessly begs for truth, regardless. Debates rage on (just check out any fan sites and internet newsletters of which I was once a part) and you'll see it occasionally discussed. Just human nature in action. The problem is, the opinions are so heated (and usually in favor of whatever the star's "truth" is over anything else) that it becomes an entity in itself.

Let's face it..people (mainly women) have been lying about their ages for years. Of course, I don't plan on doing the same..I mean, if I'm 41 and look younger, yay for me, right?..and if I'm 41 and look older, well..you better not say it lest you get a knuckle sandwich! ..and I'm not surprised if a celebrity feels the need to "budget" their age..but I do find it amusing (and somewhat annoying). What to do?

..which brings me to this next person. Sir Paul McCartney just turned a grand 'ol 64 years young today! (Happy Birthday Paul and Barry!)..and still looks pretty damn good, dontcha think? Talk about "When I'm 64"..of course we still need ya, Paulie! Isn't he great?!

Now..the reason why I put Paul in here is because, afterall, he did have a glorious ride with Wings during the 70's (for those of you who don't remember his stint with The Beatles)..so it was imperative that he get a mention..and not only for that but because The Beatles are the ultimate band in rock and roll and deserve a mention, anyway. Somehow I would have found a way even if the boys never managed to dip their individual talents into the decade. Trust me.

Which brings me back to the question of age. Now..all this speculation about Paul having dyed his hair because Heather forced him to is a moot point. The man still looks amazing. I can only guess that being a vegetarian has something to do with it. Regardless, you don't see Paul "fudging" his age any, do you? I think he simply doesn't care. Maybe the difference is he's learned to celebrate it, not reject it.

Randy and Barry, are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home